Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ah class...

There is nothing like jumping into things head first. I'm only taking three classes this sem; I say only but I've managed to find myself with 16 credits (12 credits is considered a full load). I am however, looking forward to getting started.

I get to start the day off with Anatomy & Physiology 1 (Wednesday labs!) on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. I've been reading ahead because there are so many new terms. We'll see if it pays off. Second class is Psychology of Death and Dying. Sounds properly gloomy, but my textbook did quote Lord of the Rings (book, not movie!) and I was dutifully impressed. Any textbook that quotes LoTR gets a star in my book. I've only that twice a week, for which I'm glad. I enjoy psych in general, but not as a class. I get annoyed by them, more often than not.

Monda thru Wednesday I have my EMT Basic Cert course. I'm really excited about it, and slightly terrified. I think the textbook weighs more than I do, but it is fascinating. It's a evening course though, so I don't get out of class until almost 10 PM. As a night owl, I don't particularly mind, except for the fact that I start my class day at 11 AM.

After you factor in 1/2 hour driving both ways it's...a long day. But it should be fun.

We are supposed to set up clinical hours for the EMT course this week, either at the local hospital, or with one of the ambul.ance lines. We're supposed do assessments and stuff I guess, more hands on in a real setting vs mannikins and classmates I guess. We also get to play victim for the bigger paramedic classes. I'm of a double mind about that.

I think in general it would be fun and interesting. I think a 'victim' can learn a lot about giving care by how they're treated and yet....I saw some of them this summer and I am really -not- keen on being strapped to a backboard and hauled around campus. I have this ...we'll call it a thing...about being tied up. It usually doesn't end well. But, I should look at is as a chance to over come!

12 hours and counting :)

No comments: