Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sunless tanning lotion...

Stinks. As in, it doesn't smell very good.

Yes, random, I know.

But at least I'm not pasty any more. I'm not an avid tanner (I have a strong dislike for being sunburned - which is what happens to my fair Irish skin if I'm outside for more than 30 seconds without sunblock...Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much) but it is nice to have a little color. Even if it is fake.

Granted, if I stand next to someone who's been outside all summer in shorts it is VERY obvious that I am 1. a homebody who doesn't go outside 2. a person who wears pants (yes, thank you uniform) almost year round and 3. very pale even with a "tan".

At least by staying out of the sun, my freckles aren't readily apparent. And I'm (hopefully) minimizing the risk of skin cancer in a few  years.

Ok, enough distractions. Back to studying pharmacology. Though, it annoys me when my textbook tells me "other types of agonists exist although it is not critical paramedics know specifics about these". Maybe it is or is not critical for me to know them but...I'm going to look them up anyway. If you're going to mention them, then tell me about them. If you don't think I should know about them, don't say anything at all. However, I'm a firm believer in knowing things - even if my own knowledge is woefully lacking.

Goal of the Day: Work on that. Stop accepting things because someone says "it is so"...ok, that's maybe more of a Goal of the Lifetime. I'll work on it.

*~*edit*~*
I found another phrase that irritates me. "You should be familiar with the various receptor types, however it is not important to memorize the physiology involved in each of the receptors and their binding process." What I get from phrases like this is: "Just know the medicine you give when x=y and don't worry about what you're actually doing to your patient." I don't really want to be a protocol dependent medic - I got sucked into that when I started EMT. I'd much rather (and yes, I know it'll take time and a lot of work, but hey, I'm young) know -why- I'm giving a medication, what it's going to do and what are the potential side effects.

I'm glad we're not using this textbook for Core (our teachers have decided it's out of date - but still a good reference).

And since I'm quoting it, I should cite it. *dutifully cites in accordance with English class expectations*
Chapleau, W., Burba, A. C., Pons, P. T., & Page, D. (2012). The Paramedic. (Updated ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Higher Education.

No comments: